As I was growing up I used to love to help my mother and grandmother in the kitchen. They were awesome cooks! I would be sat on the kitchen counter with a mixing bowl and wooden spoon ready to help when summoned. Some times I would wait and wait and now thinking back my mom would give me a little flour and a bit of water to appease me, and I would sit and stir and stir. I always ended up with some sort of paste concoction that could probably be used to spackle a wall!
The older I got the more I was allowed to help and I graduated from paste to sitting and mixing all the dry ingredients needed for a recipe and then would hand it over for my mother to add her eggs, vanilla, and whatever else she had. This was a good lesson in team work! I remember it all so well.
My most favorite recipe I used to help her with was her now famous Blueberry Squares. She would always make this for me, well into my adulthood. I loved to come home and smell these baking in the oven just for me!
I would now love to share her recipe with you in her honor and memory!
4 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Cup Crisco
2 Beaten Eggs
½ Cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cans Comstock Blueberry pie filling (One can should be drained somewhat)
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and the Baking Powder.
- Cut Flour mixture with Crisco using 2 knives or a pastry blender until pea sized
- Mix together eggs, milk, and vanilla and then add blend well into the flour mix. Now take this mix and separate it into two piles.
- Roll each pile between wax paper and then put one layer on a cookie sheet. After this then you will fill with blueberry filing.
- Cover now with second layer of the rolled out dough. Sprinkle the top with both sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake this at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, until top is lightly browned. This should make about 20 – 24 servings!
Here are some serving suggestions:
Serve warm with Vanilla ice cream or blue berry ice cream. Refrigerate uneaten portions and eat as a morning danish! It is always a perfect time for Blueberry Squares.
I hope you enjoy this recipe of my mothers. You will be hooked after one bite.
I have also tried this with other pie fillings but non compare to the blueberry!