Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mom's Blueberry Squares!


As I was growing up I used to love to help my mother and grandmother in the kitchen. They were awesome cooks! I would be sat on the kitchen counter with a mixing bowl and wooden spoon ready to help when summoned. Some times I would wait and wait and now thinking back my mom would give me a little flour and a bit of water to appease me, and I would sit and stir and stir. I always ended up with some sort of paste concoction that could probably be used to spackle a wall!

The older I got the more I was allowed to help and I graduated from paste to sitting and mixing all the dry ingredients needed for a recipe and then would hand it over for my mother to add her eggs, vanilla, and whatever else she had. This was a good lesson in team work! I remember it all so well.

My most favorite recipe I used to help her with was her now famous Blueberry Squares. She would always make this for me, well into my adulthood. I loved to come home and smell these baking in the oven just for me!

I would now love to share her recipe with you in her honor and memory!

Blueberry Squares

Ingredients:
4 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Cup Crisco
2 Beaten Eggs
½ Cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cans Comstock Blueberry pie filling (One can should be drained somewhat)

Directions:
  1. Mix together the flour, sugar, and the Baking Powder.
  2. Cut Flour mixture with Crisco using 2 knives or a pastry blender until pea sized
  3. Mix together eggs, milk, and vanilla and then add blend well into the flour mix. Now take this mix and separate it into two piles.
  4. Roll each pile between wax paper and then put one layer on a cookie sheet. After this then you will fill with blueberry filing.
  5. Cover now with second layer of the rolled out dough. Sprinkle the top with both sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Bake this at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, until top is lightly browned. This should make about 20 – 24 servings!
Here are some serving suggestions:
Serve warm with Vanilla ice cream or blue berry ice cream. Refrigerate uneaten portions and eat as a morning danish! It is always a perfect time for Blueberry Squares.

I hope you enjoy this recipe of my mothers. You will be hooked after one bite.
I have also tried this with other pie fillings but non compare to the blueberry!  

No comments:

Post a Comment